The Data Science & Intelligent Systems (DSIS) research group lead by Professor Elena Demidova is looking for several:
Research Scientists (Ph.D. / PostDoc)
in the areas of data science, machine learning, data mining, spatial-temporal data analysis, and semantic technologies, at the Computer Science Institute III of the University of Bonn, Germany, starting at the earliest date possible.
The DSIS research group develops innovative methods to analyze very large spatio-temporal datasets in various application areas. Furthermore, we address controlled data sharing, usability, explainability, and traceability aspects of data analysis.
- You develop innovative solutions for real-world problems that require the analysis of very large spatio-temporal datasets, for example, in the mobility domain.
- Your research activity is linked to work in the WorldKG (DFG) and smashHit (EU H2020) projects and represents an essential contribution to the development of integrated data analysis and machine learning platforms, as well as knowledge graphs for spatio-temporal data.
- You are involved in the research and teaching in data science, machine learning, databases, and information retrieval.
- You contribute to the acquisition of third-party funded projects.
- As a postdoctoral fellow, you are responsible for project management and contribute to doctoral candidates' supervision.
- University degree (master or doctorate) in computer science or related fields of study
- Very good knowledge of one or more of the relevant areas
- Practical experience with current machine learning libraries such as Apache Spark MLlib, Tensorflow and Keras, database management systems for spatio-temporal data such as Postgres / PostGis, as well as technologies for distributed data processing such as Hadoop, HBase and Spark
- Very good written and spoken English, German knowledge is desirable
- Good communication and team skills
- Teaching experience in one of the areas mentioned above is desirable
- International experience is desirable
- A varied and demanding job in a group of excellent scientists at one of the leading universities in Germany
- A salary at the government pay-scale TV-L 13
- The contract duration between 2 and 3 years, depending on previous experience and involvement in projects
- Financial support to attend related conferences
- Very good transport links and the possibility of purchasing a VRS major customer ticket
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- Numerous offers of university sports
If you are interested in this position, please send your complete application documents, including a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, certificates, and the names of two referees, as one PDF file per email to elena.demidova at cs.uni-bonn.de
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Elena Demidova per email elena.demidova at cs.uni-bonn.de.